Three Crowns, in collaboration with Mumbai Centre for International Arbitration (MCIA), hosted the inaugural India Climate Change and Environmental Disputes Day on Friday 10 December 2021 at 4:00pm IST (10:30am GMT).
The event took place on the Human Rights Day and shortly after the COP 26 UN Climate Change Conference, the event—the first of its kind in India—examined several themes pertinent to such disputes, including:
- the types of climate change and environmental disputes arising in India and the fora used to resolve those disputes;
- the international law framework addressing climate change and implications of recent developments in that framework (including COP 26) for countries like India;
- investment treaty arbitrations that have arisen in the context of legislative and regulatory changes by States, as they seek to transition to low carbon, sustainable, and climate resilient economies;
- commercial disputes that may arise in the climate change context, including construction issues, decommissioning of oil and gas assets, emissions trading, and financing disputes;
- implications of recent decisions in common and civil law jurisdictions extending companies’ liabilities for ESG failures of foreign subsidiaries and third parties in supply chains; and
- in-house counsel’s perspective on the ongoing transition, including impacts on business and operations and approaches to management of risks and disputes.
Our speakers included:
- Gopal Subramanium, Senior Advocate at the Supreme Court of India
- Jorge E. Vinuales, Harold Samuel Chair of Law and Environmental Policy at the University of Cambridge
- Sapan Gupta, General Counsel of ArcelorMittal
- Nawneet Vibhaw, Partner at Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co
- Constantine Partasides QC, Partner at Three Crowns LLP
- Manish Aggarwal, Partner at Three Crowns LLP
- Kathryn Khamsi, Partner at Three Crowns LLP
- Neeti Sachdeva, Secretary General and Registrar at MCIA
- Nicole Schwab, Co-Director of the Platform to Accelerate Nature-Based Solutions and 1t.org at the World Economic Forum
Nicola Peart, a senior associate at Three Crowns LLP, will moderate the event.
To view the video recording, please click here.
To find out more about our speakers and the topics, please click here.« Back