Viv is a senior associate in the London office. She has acted on numerous high value and complex international disputes across a variety of sectors and regions, with a particular focus on energy, financial institutions and M&A disputes. Her arbitration practice includes cases governed by both common law and civil legal systems, under a variety of institutional rules (ICC, LCIA, SIAC, HKIAC, UNCITRAL, JCAA, DIFC-LCIA and ICSID) seated variously in London, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Dubai and New York. She also has particular experience of litigation before the English, Indian and Singapore courts, including obtaining anti-suit injunctions and other interim relief in support of arbitration and enforcement of arbitral awards.
Viv’s recent experience includes:
- Representing a Japanese oil & gas company in a mega ICC arbitration, including parallel Australian court proceedings and a separate ICC arbitration, against a consortium of contractors in relation to a LNG plant in Western Australia.
- Acting for a European oil & gas company in LCIA arbitrations and ICC expert determinations against its joint venture partners over gas fields in the Middle East.
- Representing a UAE oil & gas company in DIFC-LCIA proceedings against its joint venture partners over a bid for exploring potential oil fields in the Persian Gulf.
- Acting for a Spanish/Canadian operator in disputes with a Southeast Asian nation regarding drilling operations in the South China Sea.
- Advising an oil & gas major on its potential abandonment liability as operator of PRC oil fields.
- Advising a Middle East oil & gas company on treaty structuring of its investments in Southeast Asia.
- Representing Pakistan against Karkey in ICSID multibillion arbitration concerning a barge and ship rental power project.
- Representing a Philippine energy company in connected disputes regarding geothermal power plant: (i) ICC arbitration seated in Singapore against an English contractor under Philippine law (initiated emergency arbitrator proceedings); and (ii) against its European insurance providers (SIAC, Singapore seat).
- Representing a major Japanese automobile manufacturer in (i) a JCAA arbitration seated in Tokyo against former Middle East distributor under Japanese and Saudi law; (ii) disputes with Indian former joint venture partner under Indian law; and (iii) disputes with its dealers, distributors and joint venture partners in the Middle East and Southeast Asia.
Viv is a member of the IBA’s Dispute Resolution International editorial committee. She is a Delos GAP reviewer and a co-curator of the GAP Headnote Series (A Case in Time).
Viv is admitted to practise in England & Wales, is a New York attorney and is a Hong Kong solicitor. She holds an undergraduate degree in law from Cambridge University and a masters degree in law from Harvard Law School.