Oliver is a senior associate in the London office. He has advised clients in a range of industries, including energy, telecommunications, private equity, real estate and manufacturing, in connection with disputes in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Europe, under various institutional rules, including UNCITRAL, ICSID, ICC, and LCIA.
Oliver’s experience includes:
- Representing an international consortium of energy majors in ICC arbitration proceedings against the government of a Middle Eastern country relating to operational, environmental, handover, cost recovery, and related accounting claims arising out of the expiry of a production sharing contract
- Representing an Asian national energy company in an ICC arbitration relating to issues of force majeure under a gas transportation agreement in Indonesia
- Representing a Middle Eastern telecoms operator in an UNCITRAL arbitration against a Middle Eastern State in a dispute involving discriminatory measures taken by the state in breach of its Investment Law
- Advising a US-based multinational in a billion-dollar potential ICC arbitration over the exercise of inter-related put options and the termination of a long-term manufacturing joint venture
- Advising an energy major in potential treaty and contract claims against an African government and State-owned oil company arising out of a purported unilateral and retroactive change in the profit-sharing mechanism set out in the applicable production sharing contracts
- Representing an Indian corporation in a high-value and complex ICC arbitration arising from a real estate joint venture
- Advising a State-owned oil company in connection with potential maritime boundary risks and investment treaty structuring options associated with proposed investments in the Caspian Sea and in Africa
Oliver is an English-qualified solicitor, and a Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts Civil) in England and Wales. He has taught public international law courses at Sciences Po in Paris and King’s College, University of London, and holds first class honours degrees in Philosophy from the University of Sydney and Law from Queen Mary, University of London, and a Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice from BPP Law School.