Constantine, one of the founding partners of Three Crowns, has appeared as lead counsel in some of the largest international arbitrations of the last two decades. He has secured a series of multi-billion dollar awards for his clients, and defended others in ‘bet-the-company’ claims arising in a number of different business sectors.
Constantine’s experience includes:
- Securing a landmark $9 billion award for ConocoPhillips against Venezuela in an ICSID arbitration
- Securing a $2 billion award on behalf of ConocoPhillips against PDVSA, the State Oil Company of Venezuela, in one of the largest ICC arbitrations in history
- Securing a $2 billion award for two oil and gas majors against the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation
- Securing a $1.98 billion award against the Kurdistan Regional Government in an LCIA arbitration
- Securing a favourable award on behalf of Elliott Associates in a UNCITRAL arbitration against the Republic of Korea
- Securing a favourable award on behalf of CNOOC, Occidental Petroleum and Consolidated Contractors Company in an ICC arbitration against the government of Yemen
- Successfully representing Dana Gas (the largest privately-owned energy company in the Middle East) in an LCIA arbitration
- Appearing for the ICC International Court of Arbitration before the UK Supreme Court in relation to the challenge of an arbitrator in the celebrated case of Halliburton v Chubb (click here to view appearance)
In addition to his counsel work, Constantine appears regularly as arbitrator, including in disputes that involve States and State entities. He has experience acting as Chairman or Sole Arbitrator in cases under the ICC Rules, the LCIA Rules, the SCC Rules, and the UNCITRAL Rules.
Constantine is recognised internationally in all major directories and publications at the top of the arbitration market. Over the last decade, he has been named each year in the Top 20 “Global Elite Thought Leaders” by Who’s Who Legal, which describes him as “the leading arbitration lawyer in London”, “exquisite as an advocate”, and “a leader of his generation”. Chambers recognises him as one of only two “Star Individuals” in international arbitration in London, with a market source saying he is “seen as one of the go-to people in the world for a party who is involved in a large and complex arbitration”. He is also listed in the “Hall of Fame” for international arbitration in The Legal 500.
Constantine is a co-author of the fourth, fifth, and sixth editions of the leading textbook on international arbitration, Redfern and Hunter on International Arbitration. He is a Member of the ICCA Governing Board and a Director of the LCIA Board.
Constantine is a solicitor-advocate (Higher Courts Civil) and was appointed King’s Counsel in 2014. He was educated at King’s College, London and Cambridge University.
“The leading arbitration lawyer in London”
– Who’s Who Legal
“He is simply superb and one of the best advocates of this generation”
– Chambers UK
“Seen as one of the go-to people in the world for a party who is involved in a large and complex arbitration”
– Chambers Global