YiKang is an associate in the London office. He has experience in both international commercial and investment treaty disputes across a range of sectors including energy, joint venture disputes, and financial services. YiKang has also been involved in proceedings under various institutional rules, including the ICC, LCIA, ICSID and UNCITRAL rules, and before the High Court.
His experience includes:
- Representing Elliott Advisors LP in its $700 million claim against the Republic of Korea under the United States-Korea Free Trade Agreement
- Representing the Sultanate of Oman in an ICSID treaty claim brought against it dispute in relation to a US$850 million oil and gas and construction contract, including in the annulment proceedings
- Representing an ultra-high-net-worth individual in disputes arising out of the repudiation of an option agreement and other agreements, including proceedings before the High Court relating to a challenge under s.68(2)(i) of the Arbitration Act
- Representing an African company in an LCIA arbitration against a port operator in a dispute arising from the termination of a joint venture agreement, and in proceedings before the High Court
- Securing a full dismissal of claims made against an Asian NOC in an ICC arbitration arising from the client’s withdrawal from a production sharing contract in Central Asia
- Representing a subsidiary of an Asian NOC in an ICC arbitration arising under a production sharing contract relating to the reimbursement of taxes, levies, and royalties
YiKang has interned with Judge Ronnie Abrams on the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, and assisted with the representation of low-income individuals in the Bronx at The Bronx Defenders. His work on the termination of intra-EU BITs been published in the American Review of International Arbitration.
YiKang obtained his J.D. from Columbia Law School, where he was a James Kent and Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, and was awarded the Whitney North Seymour Medal for excellence in trial advocacy. He also holds an LL.B with First Class Honours from King’s College London, where he finished top of his class in consecutive years.