Todd Wetmore, a founding partner of Three Crowns, is based in Paris, where he has handled complex international commercial arbitration cases for over 25 years. As counsel, he represents clients in high-stakes disputes around the world in diverse sectors including high-tech manufacturing, automobile distribution, aviation, oil and gas, electricity, and mining. He has deep experience with disputes presenting challenging financial and technical issues, such as those arising from banking operations, teaming arrangements, supply and M&A deals, and gas pricing, under both common law and civil law systems. Todd is also a recognised specialist in infrastructure and construction disputes and has led teams handling some of the largest construction disputes in arbitration.
Todd’s experience includes:
- Representing one of the world’s leading technology companies in a high-stakes dispute arising out of a cutting-edge, multibillion-dollar technology development and supply agreement
- Securing an award for a leading Japanese automotive manufacturer in a dispute brought against it by a contractual counterparty that dismissed the claimant’s primary claim and awarded a counterclaim put forward by our client
- Securing a comprehensive victory for the Kingdom of Bahrain in an ICC arbitration initiated by French company, Constructions Industrielles de la Méditerranée (CNIM) relating to a project to design, build and operate a waste-to-energy plant. The tribunal rejected CNIM’s claims and awarded the Kingdom over $5 million in costs. We are currently representing Bahrain in related proceedings before various French courts
- Securing a landmark award representing DEPA (the Public Gas Corporation of Greece) against the Turkish State-entity BOTAŞ in an ICC arbitration arising out of the interpretation of a price revision formula in the parties’ long-term contract. The award resets the pricing formula in the parties’ agreement and has already led to a payment of $220 million
- Representing an African company in an LCIA arbitration against a port operator in a dispute arising from the termination of a joint venture agreement
- Leading a team for a French-German consortium in a high-stakes ICC arbitration, arising out of a contract to construct a nuclear power plant
Todd regularly sits as an arbitrator under the ICC, LCIA, Swiss, and UNCITRAL Rules. One prominent appointment includes the much-publicised van der Garde v. Sauber arbitration, which had an impact on the 2015 Formula 1 motor-racing season.
Who’s Who Legal recognises him as a “Thought Leader” in arbitration and a “Recommended Global Leader” in construction and energy law and describe him as “a very brilliant advocate”. Chambers notes that Todd is “furiously bright, gets very deep into the case details and is very passionate about his work” and is “outstanding counsel” whilst The Legal 500 describes him as “tireless, very intelligent and pragmatic”.
He co-authored the France chapter in Construction & Engineering Laws and Regulations (ICLG) and the Construction Disputes chapter of International Arbitration and the COVID-19 Revolution (Kluwer Law).
Todd is a Vice-President of the ICC Court and is qualified as an avocat in France and a solicitor in England.
“Todd is without a doubt one of the best in the field”
– Who’s Who Legal
“Tireless, very intelligent and pragmatic”
– The Legal 500 France
“Furiously bright, gets very deep into the case details and is very passionate about his work”
– Chambers Global