Marcel is an associate based in the Singapore office. He has experience in international commercial arbitration and international dispute resolution, with a particular focus on minerals, construction, and infrastructure disputes. Marcel also has experience in arbitration-related litigation before the New Zealand courts, both with respect to investor-State arbitration and commercial arbitration.
Marcel’s experience includes:
- Acting for a major minerals entity in arbitration proceedings in a multimillion-dollar dispute concerning the triggering of payment obligations and corporate control mechanisms under a sale and purchase agreement
- Acting for a construction and infrastructure civil works provider in parallel arbitrations brought under the SIAC rules in a dispute relating to the construction of two significant geothermal power stations in Indonesia
- Acting for a major food services and facilities management company in proceedings relating to the recognition and enforcement of a multimillion-dollar ICSID award
- Representing a minerals entity in proceedings ultimately heard before the Supreme Court relating to the interpretation of obligations owed by the purchasing party under a sale and purchase agreement
- Representing a major steel producer in challenges to numerous decisions made by the New Zealand government with respect to the imposition of countervailing duties on the imports of various steel products
- Acting for a multi-national publicly traded dairy co-operative in proceedings relating to private law duties owed by emitters
- Acting for liquidators against a former company director in respect of a large-scale ponzi scheme
- Representing a Cayman Islands bank in successfully obtaining preservation orders over funds held in New Zealand
- Advising a major private equity firm, with respect to proceedings in the High Court of Hong Kong, to prevent a compulsory share transfer led by the controlling shareholder
Before joining Three Crowns, Marcel specialised in international dispute resolution, together with general commercial litigation, international trade law, and insolvency, and appeared in courts and tribunals at all levels in New Zealand.