Macarena is an international associate in the London office. She specialises in commercial and investment arbitration under a variety of arbitration rules in a range of sectors including energy and natural resources, pharmaceuticals, and construction.
Macarena’s recent experience includes:
- Representing Ecuador in an investment arbitration under UNCITRAL rules against two oil companies under the BIT between the United States and Ecuador, derived from a claim for denial of justice
- Representing Ecuador in an arbitration under UNCITRAL rules against a pharmaceutical company under the BIT between the United States and Ecuador, derived from a claim for denial of justice
- Representing Ecuador in a dispute against a Peruvian national regarding claims for non-observance of the BIT between Ecuador and Peru
- Representing Ecuador in a dispute against a Chinese company under the Ecuador-China BIT
- Representing Ecuador in a dispute with a Chinese company for the interpretation and application of Ecuadorian legal provisions
- Representing Ecuador against a Spanish oil company in a dispute under the BIT between Spain and Ecuador
Prior to joining Three Crowns, Macarena was a lawyer in the International Arbitration Directorate of the Attorney General’s Office of the State of Ecuador, where she represented the Ecuadorian State in various international arbitrations and annulment and enforcement proceedings in foreign jurisdictions.
Macarena is admitted to practice in Ecuador and her results for the New York Bar are pending. She completed her Master of Laws at Harvard Law School, where she was a Fulbright Scholar and Gammon Fellow. Macarena also obtained a Master of Laws and Postgraduate Diploma in Laws from the University of London School of Law in a joint programme with University College London and Queen Mary University of London. She graduated first in her class at University of San Francisco of Quito.
Macarena is a co-founder of Ecuadorian Very Young Arbitration Practitioners (ECUVYAP) and she coaches the arbitration moot team of University of San Francisco of Quito. Macarena was elected as the Ecuadorian Arbitration Institute Young Members’ Representative and is an Arbitrator Intelligence Ambassador for Latin America. She speaks Spanish, English, and French.