Jonathan, an English-qualified solicitor advocate and senior associate based in the London office, has extensive experience acting as counsel in complex, high-value international commercial and investment treaty arbitrations across a wide range of sectors (including energy, aerospace, commodity trading, mining, finance, construction, and insurance) under all major arbitration rules.
- Representing a consortium of leading oil and gas investors in various distinct disputes with a Central Asian State relating to the State’s use of its audit and other regulatory powers, raising issues under the stabilisation clauses of the investment agreement
- Representing a US aerospace multinational in a billion-dollar ICDR arbitration, seated in New York, against a Latin American aerospace company arising out of the termination of agreements to establish and operate joint ventures in the commercial and defence sectors
- Representing a leading oil and gas major in a billion-dollar Stockholm-seated UNCITRAL arbitration with a former Soviet State arising from breaches of a profits tax stabilisation clause in a production sharing agreement resulting in the overpayment of taxes
- Representing Ghana Power Generation Company Limited (GPGC), a subsidiary of Trafigura, in a London-seated UNCITRAL commercial arbitration against Ghana, concerning the State’s wrongful termination of an emergency power purchase agreement to relocate, re-install, and operate two existing combined-cycle power plants
- Representing a consortium of leading oil and gas companies in an UNCITRAL arbitration, seated in the Hague, against the Republic of Ecuador arising out of tax liabilities and threats to take control of an oil pipeline
- Representing the investors in a Singapore-seated UNCITRAL/PCA arbitration under the Investment Protocol of the South African Development Community Treaty in relation to the confiscation of mining rights and a subsequent international denial of justice
Jonathan recently undertook a one-year secondment as Legal Counsel at one of the world’s leading independent commodity trading and logistics houses, where he provided legal and strategic advice on several high-stakes disputes while working closely with their in-house and commercial teams.
Jonathan has published pieces on topics of international interest, such as sovereign immunity and arbitration on the African continent.