Jonathan, an English-qualified solicitor advocate and Counsel based in the London office, has extensive experience acting as counsel in complex, high-value international commercial and investment treaty arbitrations across a wide range of sectors (including energy, aerospace, commodity trading, mining, finance, construction, and insurance) under all major arbitration rules. His most recent representative matters include:
- Representing a US aerospace multinational in a billion-dollar ICDR arbitration, seated in New York, against a Latin American aerospace company arising out of the termination of agreements to establish and operate joint ventures in the commercial and defence aviation sectors
- Representing a leading oil and gas major in a billion-dollar Stockholm-seated UNCITRAL arbitration against a former Soviet State arising from breaches of a profits tax stabilisation clause in a production sharing agreement resulting in the overpayment of taxes
- Representing two consortiums of leading oil and gas investors in several distinct Stockholm-seated UNCITRAL arbitrations against a Central Asian State relating to the division of profits, the recovery of costs, and the State’s use of its tax audit and other regulatory powers
- Representing mining investors in a Singapore-seated UNCITRAL/PCA arbitration against an African State under the Investment Protocol of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Treaty in relation to the confiscation of mining rights and a subsequent international denial of justice
- Representing a power generation company in a London-seated UNCITRAL arbitration against an African State, concerning the State’s wrongful termination of an emergency power purchase agreement to relocate, re-install, and operate two existing combined-cycle power plants
- Representing a French business owner in a Toronto-seated ICCPR arbitration with a US dental company arising from a post-M&A dispute
- Representing a consortium of leading oil and gas companies in a Hague-seated UNCITRAL arbitration against a South American State arising out of tax liabilities and threats to take control of an oil pipeline
- Representing a major wind power supplier in a Hague-seated UNCITRAL arbitration against a Western Asian State under a bilateral investment treaty and national investment law, relating to liability under certain performance bonds
Jonathan recently completed a one-year secondment as Legal Counsel at one of the world’s leading independent commodity trading and logistics houses, where he provided legal and strategic advice on several high-stakes disputes while working closely with their in-house and commercial teams.
Jonathan has published pieces on topics of international interest, such as sovereign immunity and arbitration on the African continent.