Jacob is an associate in the Washington, DC office. He has experience acting on a range of disputes, particularly within the infrastructure, energy, and intellectual property sectors. Jacob has particular experience dealing with disputes arising out of Africa, Latin America, and East and Central Asia.
His recent experience includes:
- Representing an East Asian international glass manufacturing company in an ICC arbitration against the world’s largest glass manufacturing company involving issues of intellectual property and employment law
- Representing an international energy company in an ICSID arbitration against a State concerning the conversion of rights of exploration into rights of production
- Representing an international mining company in an UNCITRAL arbitration with a Central Asian State concerning issues of taxation, corruption, and contract interpretation
- Representing an international construction company in US federal court in annulment proceedings concerning the expansion of the Panama Canal
Jacob regularly provides legal support pro bono. His recent work includes:
- Advising on the international law of decolonisation in relation to a territory seeking to exercise the right to external self-determination and become an independent State
- Advising on the local, regional, and international laws and jurisprudence on remedies available to survivors of State-sanctioned torture in an East African State on behalf of international human rights NGO REDRESS
- Advising on international legal principles applicable to victims of war crimes and crimes against humanity in a Middle Eastern State on behalf of Guernica 37
Jacob holds a JD from Harvard Law School, where he was a Class Marshal of his graduating class and President of the Harvard International Arbitration Law Students Association. He also holds an MSc in Global Governance and Diplomacy from the University of Oxford and a First Class Honours BA in Political Science from McGill University.
Jacob is the External Co-Director of the Harvard International Arbitration Law Students Association’s International Arbitration Workshop for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Jacob is admitted in Washington, DC.